Monday, February 23, 2015

My share in the conversation...The Darcy Brothers

A Book Review:  The Darcy Brothers
by Monica Fairview, Maria Grace, Cassandra Grafton, Susan Mason-Milks and Abigail Reynolds

One of the most enjoyable things about the book, The Darcy Brothers, is Theophilus Darcy, a barrister and the younger brother of Fitzwilliam Darcy. He is a charming character and in temperament, more like his cousin, Colonel Fitzwilliam, than his own brother.  At first glance, it seems the brothers are as different as day is to night, but they actually have more similarities than either realize. Part of my amusement was discovering with them, these similarities. In the beginning they are at odds and rarely have any good pass between them. Introduce Elizabeth Bennet into the equation…the tensions mount and the drama unfolds, brother against brother. But wait, something changes. What, why and how is utterly delicious! The repertoire between the brothers was quite entertaining and made me laugh out loud on numerous occasions. It was a delight to see their relationship grow and transform throughout the pages of the narrative.

The Darcy Brothers begins with Darcy and Theo on their way to Rosings for the spring visit. Colonel Fitzwilliam, who usually goes with Darcy, was unable to attend this year so we as readers are granted the pleasure of Theo in his place.  (Never fear the Colonel does show up.) With Elizabeth at Hunsford visiting Charlotte it made for many opportunities of good Darcy and Elizabeth time, which is what I ultimately want in a PnP variation.

Anne de Bourgh played an important role throughout as did Georgiana. They were both such delightful creatures and made for many good reading moments. I loved the interplay between the siblings and their cousins. It was such good fun. There is a likable new character, Sir Montgomery Preston, a friend of Theo’s and also an acquaintance of George Wickham. Yes, Wickham does make a show as does Lydia.

The Darcy Brothers is a collaborative effort of five authors. I have read at least one book by each of the five authors and more than one by most of them. Their endeavor was seamless. I literally could not tell when one author stopped and another one began. I assumed that would not be the case and felt that I would recognize some of the distinctive traits of the writers. That was not the case as they were that good in their joint venture. Excellent job! I highly recommend The Darcy Brothers and if anyone is ‘listening’ I am hoping for a sequel! This story is ripe for a continuation. Please! 

In honor of Theo Darcy and the book, The Darcy Brothers, I am giving away one bar of Theo's special soap, made by Evie Cotton.  It smells of Bay Rum with a hint of Egyptian Licorice Tea. Contains Avocado and Cucumber Oil, Egyptian Olive Leaf, Olive Oil, Egyptian Licorice Tea and Bay Rum Essential Oil. It's available from Shirley's Handicrafts on Etsy. Yes, I was the fan that wanted to know what he thought of having a soap named after him. Read his response in his interview from last week. To be entered in the giveaway, leave a comment below, including your email address in the comment. Tell me what you think of Darcy having a handsome younger brother! Giveaway ends at midnight on March 2, 2015, and it is worldwide. Good luck.

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for the wonderful review, Janet. So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Susan. Thank you for sending me the book and for the fun interview of Theo.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely review, Janet! I'm very glad you liked Theo. We had so much fun with him -- and with the other characters as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved him, Monica, and his interactions with the other characters. I can tell you all had fun with him and that made it more fun for us as readers. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this review, Janet. It was fun. Theo lives torturing his brother to get a reaction from him. Theo is cute! I'm glad to be able to get to know him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weren't those fun parts? I laughed so much when Theo would tease Darcy. That made for good reading. The siblings and cousins were entertaining for sure.

      Delete
  4. I think Darcy is lucky he finally engaged the affections of Elizabeth with Theo around

    meikleblog at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your review! Theo may be very charming, but I'm a Fitzwilliam woman all the way! I blame Colin Firth...

    Pamh5230 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Pam. I could not agree with you more! I think I will always be a Fitzwilliam woman, too. I love the character and I too, loved the portrayal by Colin Firth.

      I'm thrilled you liked the review!

      Delete
  6. You are welcome, Wendy. I enjoyed reading it as a serial too. The novel was great and it was fun to read it through instead of weekly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review for a lovely story! Congrats to the authors, Theo is just adorable! I agree with Vesper ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! I love this dynamic of Darcy having a younger brother especially a mischievous fun loving one that pushes all his buttons. I look forward to reading this one soon after participating in all the reader's choice votes for it.

    sophiarose1816 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful review, Janet; you have inspired me to buy it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Couldn't agree more with your review, Janet! It's a brilliant collaboration between the authors involved.

    So if we all agree Colin Firth is Fitzwilliam, who do we think of as Theo? The portrait used has more than a passing resemblance to David Tennant but, great actor though he is, he's just too skinny for my imagining of Theo.

    I also have to admit to having a soft spot for Monty.

    angmardee(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Theo is a wonderful addition to the Darcy family. What an honor to have his own soap!
    saganchilds(a)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete