Tuesday, July 18, 2017

MAE Awards for 2016

Jane Austen 
Born-16 December, 1775; Died-18 July, 1817

Jane Austen brings us together. As we know so well, this community thrives because of our shared love for the writing of this intelligent, witty woman whose works are classics and admired all over the world. Two hundred years from the date of her passing and what a legacy she has achieved! Do you not wonder what her reaction would be to the many books, movies, tributes and articles done about her works and in her honor. 

I am thankful for the many friends and acquaintances I have made over the years, strictly because of Jane Austen. We love her, we love her writing and we cannot get enough of the stories based on her characters. There are many of us who have been helped through difficult times in our lives due to Jane Austen and her works, as well as fiction based on her stories and characters. The amount of fan fiction devoted to her novels is countless. With so many new novels coming out monthly and new plots still being created, we fans should have plenty to read and enjoy for quite some time.

In a review I posted yesterday for Cass Grafton's and Ada Bright's book, The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen, I mentioned a part in the story where the world was without Jane Austen, as if her writings never existed. It made me feel so strange when I was reading this part of the book. It also made me think. How different would my life be if we did not have the wonderful works by Jane Austen? Take a minute and think about your life and how it might be different. Many, many things would not be the same. I probably would not be doing book covers or a calendar every year. I might not read as much and most of all, I would not have the acquaintance of so many lovely online and personal friends.

I am inspired by Jane Austen and amazed at the genius that has been unleashed because of her. To have her fifth great-niece, Caroline Jane Knight, become part of this community was such an unexpected delight and seemed almost surreal, as if Jane Austen herself, was among us.  Ms. Knight founding the Jane Austen Literacy Foundation to help women and children learn to read and write, is the ideal legacy of this phenomenon that is Jane Austen. To quote Dr. Seuss, "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." Today, Miss Austen, I do not cry because your life is over, I smile because your life happened. 

As part of my celebration, I wish to list my favorite Jane Austen fan-fiction novels for 2016. Yes, I am later than most but I decided to do my 2016 favorites list on the 18th of July. Although I do have some books that made my list that are not related to Jane Austen, most are Jane Austen Fan Fiction. It seemed fitting to do this list on this 200th Anniversary in honor of Jane and all she accomplished.

MAE Favorites of 2016


Now to my favorites...these will not be listed in any specific order but will be will be somewhat categorized. I was unable to read as much as usual last year, therefore I know I missed out on many good books that would have made my list. I also have some books on this favorites' list that were not released in 2016 but that is when I read them

Pride & Prejudice Variations/Alternate Paths
 Accusing Elizabeth by Jennifer Joy
Ardently by Caitlin Williams
Miss Darcy's Companion by Joana Starnes
The Abominable Mr. Darcy by J. Dawn King
Unwilling by Elizabeth Adams

Minor Character Novellas
The Courtship of Edward Gardiner by Nicole Clarkston
When Mary Met the Colonel by Victoria Kincaid

Jane Austen
A Most Singular Venture by Donna Fletcher Crow
Jane & the Waterloo Map by Stephanie Barron

Pride & Prejudice contemporary and other eras
Undercover by Cat Gardiner
Without a Conscience by Cat Gardiner

Non-P&P
Austen in Austin (4 Texas-set novellas based on Austen novels) by Debra E. Marvin, Susanne Dietze, Anita May Draper and Gina Welborn
The Last Adventure of the Scarlet Pimpernel by Jack Caldwell

Pride & Prejudice/Jane Austen Time Travel/Paranormal
Darcy By Any Other Name by Laura Hiles
The Elizabeth Papers by Jenetta James
The Particular Charm of Miss Jane Austen by Ada Bright and Cass Grafton

North & South Variation
Northern Rain by Nicole Clarkston

Thanks for stopping by and sharing my list of favorites with me. If any of you have a favorite that did not make my list for 2016 and you suggest I put it on my TBR list to read, please share the book with me. I would love your thoughts. As I mentioned earlier, there are so many books that I didn't get to read and many of those that I know were good books. Maybe I will get to some of them this year and they will make my 2017 Favorites List. I have already read a few from last year and some from this year that have been marked for the list! :)

28 comments:

  1. Great list! I have enjoyed all the P&P variations, plus Courtship of Edward Gardiner and the two fabulous Cat Gardiner books.
    I have the books by Laura Hile and Jenetta James but haven't read them yet. Unfortunately I can't think of any books to recommend as I'm not sure which were released in 2016.
    I have so many books that I have to 're read that I have decided to only buy books either by authors I know I like or by recommendation from people I respect so keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Glynis. Glad to hear you have enjoyed these too. Oh, I hope you to get to read Laura Hile's book and Jenetta James's book too. They are both really good.

      The book doesn't have to be released in 2016. I'm interested in any that you recommend. At least one on my list was not a 2016 release but that is the year I read it. I'm going by when I read the book rather than when it is released.

      I'm the same about getting new books. I am much more selective because of my limited amount of reading time.

      Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Thank you very much, Janet. This is a great list of books and authors and I'm tickled to show up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Joy. If I had more time to read, you probably would have had another one or two on the list! :) I will be reading them first chance I get and listening to some of them. Christie Capps is next!:)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the shout out! ~ EAdams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I may be listening to the audio version soon! :) I love to listen while I draw.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful list, Janet! I'm tickled to be included in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that book but then, I've enjoyed all of yours. You have several others on my TBR list. I can't wait to start your mystery series! They sound fantastic.

      Delete
  5. All great books, Janet. Terrific list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ginna. They are great books and many more on my TBR list are great, I'm sure! Wish I had more reading time.

      Delete

  6. Congratulations to the winners!

    denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list and totally agree! There are only a couple I still need to read! I'm only up to Book 3 on Stephanie Barron's series. I was hoping to do one a month but unfortunately that has not happened! I also love Maria Grace's books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carole. I would also love to read all of Stephanie Barron's books. Reading one a month would be a great way to do it. Yes, Maria Grace has some great books. I have several of hers on my TBR list as well.

      Delete
  8. What an absolute honor to be listed among such great authors! Thank you so much, Janet! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Cat. I just wish I could have read your other book last year. Maybe this year I will get to read it and the others. I didn't get to read Pamela's either and hers is also on my TBR list. There are so many good books out there. I just need more reading time.

      Delete
  9. I have read many of the above books and enjoyed them. I would add Maria Grace's Longbourn which is a P&P/Fantasy mix involving dragons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for telling me. I bet the fantasy with dragons is an intriguing mix.

      Delete
  10. This is some fabulous company to be keeping! I'm thrilled to make your list. What an excellent selection of JAFF you have here, I clearly need to make more time to read! There are far too many I have not read yet, but your recommendation means a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole. I need more reading time, too. I've missed reading many of the ones that were released last year. I'm hoping for more from you soon! :)

      Delete
  11. Janet,

    I'm delighted that I'm able to finally comment on your post as my phone/internet haven't been behaving themselves recently and refused to open the comments page until now!!

    What a wonderful list of books! I'm in the enviable position to be able to say that I've read quite a lot of them,although there are a few that have escaped my notice.

    While I haven't read that particular book by Joy Dawn King,I have read Mr Darcy's Mail Order Bride,which was wonderful!
    I thoroughly enjoyed it!

    Another book that I read last year was Regina Jeffers' Mr Darcy's Bargain. Oh! I loved this one too and can highly recommend both these books if you haven't read them already.

    Such a lovely tribute to pay to our dear Jane,to publish your 2016 awards list,Janet.
    Imagine her surprise to see us reading books containing her beloved characters, loving them,speaking about them and recommending them to like minded friends!

    Thank you for sharing your favourites!
    Happy reading! ☺️��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you were able to comment too, Mary. I'm sorry for the inconvenience to you. Don't know what is up with these blogs sometime.

      I have not read Joy's book that you mentioned but do have it. It and Regina's are both on my TBR list. Thank you for highly recommending them.

      Thank you for your comments, Mary, and for persevering.

      Delete
  12. "Today, Miss Austen, I do not cry because your life is over, I smile because your life happened." - what a beautiful way to sum up how you (and many of us, also) feel about Jane Austen and her works.

    Of your list, I've read seven of them, had the immense pleasure of being a beta for four of those seven, and have another seven on my TBR list. Even without new books coming along every month (and aren't we grateful that they do?), I have to borrow another quote from your post - "we fans should have plenty to read and enjoy for quite some time."

    Thanks for such an amazing list, Janet and for choosing this way to commemorate our favourite writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had recently read that quote by Dr. Seuss and thought it perfect. It said what I felt, although I am sad her life ended so early and sad for what might have been. Most of all though, I'm happy for what is. We have gained so much from her works, our love of her novels and characters, our fan fiction and the many blogs, etc. The best of all are the many friends we've made through our love of Jane Austen. You are one of those, Anji. Thank you for everything.

      Delete
  13. Janet, thank you, sincerely, for including Darcy By Any Other Name on your list. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It's a fun, escapist read -- the kind of thing I enjoy -- but it was a risk for me as a writer. I wasn't sure how my sense of humor would play out with Austen lovers. Who knew that so many readers love to laugh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a unique plot and one I enjoyed very much. It was such a fun read I adored your sense of humor! :)

      Delete
  14. Apologies for my late appearance, Janet. I was travelling and my iPad just would not let me comment, though I tried several times.

    This is such a heartwarming and lovely post. What a lovely way to remember Jane Austen <3

    Thank you also for including our book in your list. We are touched and also honoured to be amongst the other company.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Today, Miss Austen, I do not cry because your life is over, I smile because your life happened."

    So beautifully said, Janet! Such an uplifting message, as we think of our favourite author without whom our lives would be so different.

    Many apologies for turning up so late and huge thanks for this beautiful way of celebrating Jane Austen, and for including 'Miss Darcy's Companion' among your 2016 favourites, and in such great company! I'll keep hoping that one day we'll do an Austen & PnP tour together :)

    ReplyDelete